Tuesday 22 March 2016

Chain Time


It's time (yet again) to change the chain on my Honda CBF250. This happens with boring regularity. Why does the CBF consume way more chains than my FJ1200 that has 5 times the power output? Well the CBF is used through the winter and in all weathers and water is the killer of chains. Singles might also be harder on chains because of the power pulses but the CBF is hardly a big thumper. 


O-ring chains don't wear much but eventually water gets past the O-rings and seizes the odd link. The chain then starts making a crunching sound. There is no way (I know) of fixing this.

These last a lot longer than non O-ring chains but cost more. Another advantage of O-ring chains is that they use a rivet link rather than spring link. This means that it's pretty much impossible for the chain to split in use. A riveting tool can be used to fit them but I just make then endless off the bike. This means having to remove the swing arm to fit but this is fairly simple and gives me a chance to clean the arm and lubricate the bearings.

Extreme de-greasing! I used a paraffin gun to clean the swing arm. Not having any paraffin (kerosene) handy I used petrol (gasoline) This effectively removed the built-up grease and muck. Obviously do this outdoors.

Nice and clean!
This is an opportunity to grease the shock end bearing....
....and the swing arm bearings.....
...but something's not right. The collar is badly pitted.
The gearbox sprocket is worn pointed and hooked
The rear isn't so bad, but still a bit worn
New chain

Comes with both rivet & spring links
I'll use the rivet link
The outer plate is a tight fit. I tap it on using a small socket
Once the plate is in place.....
...I use a ball pien hammer to spread the soft metal head
Put it all back together and it's job done (until next time) The swing arm bearing & collar are on the way but I'll fit them later.

1 comment:

  1. Nice Job! I have the exact same dish washing bucket that I use for my oil changing :-)

    ReplyDelete