Tuesday 26 September 2017

Sometimes the Sun Won't Shine (much)


After my soaking on Sunday at the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride I was keen for a more pleasant run. The weatherman could offer dry and warm(ish) weather but no sun. This is something you have to accepted when you live in one of the cloudiest places on earth. I headed southwest. 
Girvan Harbour - well, it started off bright

The coast road

Ballantrae (and the sun is still shining)

Misty in Port William

Fisherman statue surveys the sea in Port William

Lobster pots in Port William

Gloomy Isle of Whithorn

SV at Garlieston

The church in Wigtown. I've mentioned it before but it is common to have the ruins of an old church in the grounds of a newer one.

Here I helped the lady warden move cones that had been used to control traffic at a big funeral earlier that day. So, I suppose, if I ever get to the pearly gates I've got that going for me.

Graveyards are always interesting. This one has "martyr's graves" containing five locals who were executed during the religious conflicts of the late 17th century. They include two women who were tied to a stake and drowned in the nearby Solway Firth.

On a lighter note there is a memorial to a man who died in 1846. It states that he was "Removed in the midst of his usefulness" It shows how language changes over the years. Also the stern warning "Reader, be ye also ready".

So, despite the dull conditions, it was a nice day out. At this time of year I try to ride when I can because I know there is a lot of crappy weather ahead.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, a lot of crappy weather is coming. Our weather is usually pretty close to what you see as well even though you are a higher latitude.

    I am glad you saw some brightness. Sometimes I prefer riding on cloudy days when through the hills so I am not fighting the changing lighting or sun in my eyes.

    I really like the first pic, but I always seem to be a sucker for marina and boat pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you like Girvan harbour so I included this. The main road runs right next to the harbour so I usually stop here.

      Delete