Friday 23 February 2018

Further Along the Coast - Part#2


Continuing my journey across East Lothian…..
Now that's what I call a bearing! It came from the machine that ground coal to a powder for use in the nearby power station.


***UPDATE***

Although it looks like it this isn't a bearing. It’s a ball pulverizer. Lumps of coal are milled into powder between the balls and the ring. The powder is then blown into the furnace and burnt like a gas.

At Longniddry there are war time tank traps on the beach

Gosford Bay

Gosford Bay

Gosford Bay

The church at Aberlady. Parts were added over the years but the tower dates to the 15th century

Spooky old gravestone

Mounting block. Handy if you're travelling by horse or KTM Adventure

The golf course at Gullane - there seems to be more golf courses than farm land in this area.

Lobster pots at North Berwick

North Berwick harbour

This looks like an old outhouse but is an ancient church

The beach at North Berwick

Selling ice cream in Scotland in February - this must be the definition of optimism. I mean who wants ice cream in winter?

Well, why not?

6 comments:

  1. Looks like a place well worth visiting. Beach and blue skies, what's not to love. And so the ice-cream does make so much sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is a lot to see in this area and not too far from home.

      I have to include my usual disclaimer: Scotland is not always this sunny, although this is one of the driest & sunniest areas in the country.

      Delete
  2. I like that you stopped for ice cream. Some days you just need some no matter the temperature.

    The bearings/not bearing sure are huge. Could you imagine how loud that would have been grinding the coal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With no wind and bright sunshine it was very pleasant marred only by the fact that my "99" (ice cream cone with chocolate flake) cost me £3 ($4)

      Scaling up from my helmet I'd say each ball is 750mm in diameter and weigh about 1.7 tons. And, yes, I expect that it did make a racket.

      Delete
  3. Lovely looking weather. I really want to ride Scotland. I have family connections to explore a little but I am always thinking I would like to ride the North Coast 500. It looks such a epic journey. But getting blue sky like in your photos may not be so easy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was very much a ride of opportunity. Days like this are very rare in winter. The UK is currently below freezing and blanketed in heavy snow. I think spring is still some way away.

      Delete