Sunday 9 October 2016

Oban & Argyll Coast


Another day, another run. We are enjoying a spell of fine weather (courtesy of a blocking high over Scandinavia, apparently) and, at this time of year, I take every opportunity to get out knowing that there is a lot of nastiness on the way.

Today I head for Oban in the West Highlands.
I've featured it before but the Connel Bridge (once rail now road) makes for a grand photo.

And it's worth taking a walk across the bridge for the views up and down Loch Etive.

Looking west to the sea. As you can see there is a large flow as the tide goes out and the water from the loch rushes through the narrows

Looking east

I tend to avoid Oban in summer as it's choked with tourists but things have quietened down now.

Here's a house with a splendid view of Asknish Bay and the islands of Shuna and Luing


I head down a minor road along the Craignish peninsular. Here is something old even by Scottish standards. The Old Parish church dates from about 1200.


Some ancient stone coffins

Coffin lids with carvings of swords

Further on I know I'm on the real back roads when I meet a gate.

The road ends here with great views to the Isle of Jura. The twin hills in the distance being the Paps (breasts) of Jura    

An old jetty

No comments:

Post a Comment