Thursday 19 April 2018

Fife Coast Run

The weatherman promised fine weather today - the first warm day of the year really. Best in the east he said so I headed for Fife. When I visit the Kingdom I usually go to the East Neuk but, after studying the map, I sought out some places I hadn't explored much.


Lower Largo. The village is dominated by a railway viaduct. The Fife Coast Railway closed in the 1960's and is now a walking route.



Statue of Alexander Selkirk in Lower Largo. He was a sailor from here who was the inspiration for the character of Robinson Crusoe having been marooned for four years on Juan Fernandez Island in the south Pacific.

The beach at Lower Largo


Oil rigs. They're moored in the Firth of Forth between jobs (I think)

The beach at Leven
 
Pub quiz question - where do Scottish football club East Fife come from? A - Methil, not really a place you'd visit without a very good reason.

East Wemyss. I walked along the shore and found some caves

This one is called the Dovecot Cave because of the nesting places cut into the rock. This would have provided the locals with meat.

I was heading for the ruins of MacDuff's Castle. A late 14th century tower house. There was a good path to the castle and a worker was cutting the grass and clearing vegetation - so well done Fife.

The walk was hard work. I had my usual cool weather biking gear on but I was sweating in the mild conditions. This was because of the heat I stress, not the fact that I'm overweight & unfit! 

View from the castle

This is a memorial to miners killed in a fire at Michael Colliery, East Wemyss, in 1967.

Dysart Harbour

Burntisland (not an island)



I stopped for ice cream in Dalgety Bay. This building was the stables for nearby Donibristle House now converted into apartments.

The view from the stables.

The Forth Rail Bridge from Dalgety Bay

4 comments:

  1. Wemyss is derived from the Gaelic word 'uaimh' meaning cave and there was historically a Clan Wemyss who lived in the caves - genuine cavemen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos and a bit of history, thank you. To think that beautiful building was just the stables...... Hopefully the servants were treated as well as the horses, you never know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed at the size of the stables. There must have been an army of staff to run the place. Modern stables are just steel sheds but this was built in stone. I couldn’t be bothered to walk to the main house. The only way to get there seemed to be along the shore. I think that most of it was burned down a long time ago and the remaining wings were converted to more apartments.

      As the the servants...well, it must have been been better than working in the local coal mines.

      Delete