Thursday 22 June 2017

SV Accident Damage Repairs


I should probably be resting my shoulder allowing my collar bone to heal but I can't resist starting the repairs on my SV.

The damage isn't extensive. I managed to hold the bike upright until we were going quite slowly.

There are a number of areas of light scraping like here on the grabrail.

A handy tool for this kind of work is a power file

Buffed down

I prime the bare steel. This will prevent corrosion and the paint fills any remaining scrapes

The final result. I did this to the engine bars and bar end weights

The next thing I looked at was a sagging footpeg

The mounting plate had bent (right). Why do I have a spare? By luck an extra one came with the bike. The previous owner, my friend Malcolm, had thought about lowering the pegs and bought this to use but never got round to it.



The screen was scuffed....

....I just sprayed it matt black. It would be cheap to replace but since it's a dark tint and you don't look through it I gave this a try. This may not stay on.

This is where things get interesting. The rear brake pads have anti-squeal shims. The inner one was damaged but when I removed the caliper I noticed deep gouges in the inner pad. I guessed that this must have been where the strap (and buckle?) from the rug were dragged into the caliper. I replaced the pads but something wasn't right. The wheel was sticking at a part of its revolution. I was going to set up a dial gauge to check the disc but instead I ran the bike in gear and applied the brake. The caliper shook from side to side!

I removed the wheel & spun it on a stand. The disc had a run out of about 3mm! Whatever was dragged into the caliper created enough force to bend the disc. No wonder I heard a bang when the bike locked up. (Removing the wheel caused a bit of pain so I stopped work here)

I needed a new master cylinder cover and brake lever. I got this unit from eBay.


That's all for now. There are some other issues but I'll deal with them later.

4 comments:

  1. I am surprised that the bike is repairable. No structural damage to the frame?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The damage is all very superficial. The wheel locked at about 50mph but I held the bike upright until (nearly) the end. It probably hit the ground at no more than 10 mph. My injuries were because I was thrown up in the air and landed on my head & shoulder. Of course I won't know for sure until it's back on the road, but I'm hopeful (about the bike & myself!)

      Delete
  2. I am glad you are feeling well enough to putter with the repairs.

    Did they guess the cause of the crash was the blanket coming loose? Or did the strap/buckle get caught as a result of the crash?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure it was the strap getting into the caliper that caused the accident.

      Delete