Thursday 28 September 2017

Garage Vacuum Cleaner


When we bought our current house 16 years ago it came with an old vacuum cleaner in the garage. This got used for cleaning the inside of the car and the garage. In recent years it's been getting a bit rough and finally had to be replaced. Dragging the vacuum from the house for use in the garage would cause domestic strife.

I did an autopsy and found that a bearing in the motor has gone allowing the armature to rattle about. While in there I found the date of 1982 on a component. So 35 years of use. Not bad.


Yeah, I know. Last time I strapped something onto the back of the bike I ended up in hospital. But lightning never strikes the same place twice*.

Knackered motor

Stripped vacuum

It was called the "Electronic" because it had variable suction based on this circuit board

Period adverts.

It was a simpler time. Give a woman an new vacuum cleaner and she'd be happy. While the husband gets on with more manly tasks like sawing wood. Although he looks a bit confused by what he's doing.
 
The new one. Tesco's cheapest bagless vacuum.

I found a 1984 advert that proudly boasted that the vacuum was made in the UK and cost £89.95 - £280 in today's money - so quite an expensive item. The replacement was £35 - made in China (of course) Will it last 35 years? - I doubt it, but then I'm unlikely to be about if it did.

* in fact lightning frequently strikes in the same place multiple times.


2 comments:

  1. Nice that the vacuum lasted so long. They sure don't make things like they used to. My KitchenAid stand mixer is 21 years old and my mom has one that is almost 40 years old. I wonder if one bought today would last as long, I too am thinking not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent information on your blog, thank you for taking the time to share with us. Amazing insight you have on this, it's nice to find a website that have much details. best handheld vacuum for pet hair

    ReplyDelete