Thursday 23 November 2017

White Cart Run - Part #2



Anchor Mills. Paisley was known for textiles and this mill was part of world's largest thread producing factory. Now apartments and offices
Paisley Abbey. Established in 1163, but mostly 15th century (I think)

I came across this mural on the gable end of a tenement near the river. It depicts a kingfisher and is dedicated to Alexander Wilson. He was a weaver who emigrated to America in 1794 and became known as the "Father of American Ornathology" 



On the banks of the river is Paisley Town Hall. Typical of the grand public buildings constructed in the Victorian era.

Lift Bridge, Renfrew. Just before the White Cart joins the River Clyde is this lift bridge. It was built in 1924 and is still in operation.
And for the climax of my tour of the White Cart - something really special…..two boulders behind a fence. No, wait, bear with me.

The stone on the left is the Argyll Stone. In 1685 Archibald Campbell, 9th Earl of Argyll led a revolt against King James VI. This failed and he was captured near this spot and subsequently executed. This stone was (possibly) the pediment of a cross near where he was captured.

On the right is a stone known as "St Coval's Chariot". St Conval was a 6th century Irish priest who was carried across the sea to Renfrew on this boulder - like a divinely-powered surfboard, I suppose. He then worked to convert the Picts to Christianity. The stone was (and maybe still is) a place of pilgrimage. The stone has a depression on top (where the leaves are) and pilgrims would drink the rainwater in it to cure their ills. I would have tried this myself but the fence prevented me.

 


On a very wet and dull day I'm in Clydebank looking across the River Clyde to where the Cart joins it.  

I hope you enjoyed my run across the grey old city. As always I was aware of how much is packed into a small distance in this country and that even though it's cool, wet & dull a run on the bike can be enjoyable.


I didn't want to end the tour on a bum note so today I went back to Clydebank when it was sunny.


2 comments:

  1. Awesome photos and a history lesson. Who could want more. I love the old architecture photos. They don't make building like that any more. So much character.

    The boulders were interesting too. Makes one wonder how much truth in legend...... I like the idea of a boulder as a surfboard, but i dunno......that doesn't quite float with me.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good that there is lots to see on my doorstep when the weather is cool.

      As for the boulders, well, as you say, the stories are legend rather than fact.

      Delete