Monday 15 July 2019

Road to Nowhere

 Or "Far from the Madding Crowd" Highland style. 

I'm always looking for a new road to ride particularly one with a novel feature. Here I'm riding Britain's longest dead-end road.

It's in the West Highlands and runs from Loch Garry westwards to Kinloch Hourn.

The single track road leaves the main road north of Inverness and runs 22 miles past Loch Garry and Loch Quoich to Loch Hourn. I usually avoid the West Highlands in high summer because the roads are jammed with tourists. I was searching for solitude & great scenery….and I wasn't disappointed.   
The route

Loch Garry

Hub cap collection

The road is narrow and winding but almost devoid of traffic

Loch Garry

When I thinking about this trip a couple of months ago I found that the road had been blocked by a landslide. It must have been here at the Loch Quoich Dam. You can see that the entire hillside collapsed.

There was a new bridge at the foot of the slide - I guess the old one was destroyed.



River Garry

Loch Quoich at the dam

Loch Quoich looked spectacular





  




At was near the end of the road…..
….when my way was blocked by these fellows

Kinloch Hourn is just a couple of houses
 
I got past them and the road turned into a narrow track. The loch meets the sea 12 miles west of here

The old FJ may have many years & miles behind it but it's still going well


No comments:

Post a Comment