Sunday 21 April 2019

The Southern Upland Way - Part #1

The Southern Upland Way is a 210 mile coast to coast walking trail across the southern hills of Scotland. It goes from Cockburnspath in the east to Portpatrick in the west. I thought that it might be an interesting journey. Not walking it of course - I'm a man of advancing years with a dodgy knee. But by bike following the route as closely as possible. The trail is generally remote from roads but I plotted a route in the same general direction. 

The trail crosses the regions of the Scottish Borders and Dumfries & Galloway. My journey is similar to that I did a couple of years ago (see here) but I was sure that could find plenty of new things to present to you. 
 
The route

Cockburnspath

The market cross dates from 1507

The path heads west to the coast at Cove

Heading inland I pass a small clump of tress that the map describes as "The Maiden's Paps (Breasts)"…I'm not seeing it.

I'm not kidding!

The church at Abbey St Bathans. It dates from the late 18th century and contains stone from the old nunnery that gave the village its name.

Ramblers on the trail

A bench with flowers for the weary traveller

In the town the trail crosses this rather strange footbridge. A asymmetric cable stayed timber Warren truss? Build by the Gurkhas of the British Army.

Ford across the Whiteadder Water

Harvesting an abundant Scottish resource - wind. The farmer is spreading muck on his fields. You can't appreciate the smells of the countryside as I did!

2 comments:

  1. When I was youger and fitter and not quite so rotund I walked the West Highland Way a couple of times. A lot of the bridges along the route were built by the army. I suppose it keeps them out of trouble :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually see the walkers on the West Highland Way heading north out of Tyndrum. In high summer it's like Sauchiehall Street (for non-Glaswegians, a busy thoroughfare)

      The Southern Upland Way is much quieter, I think, but goes through some nice countryside.

      Delete